Note: this project has been renamed Heresy World.
In my spare time I am building an expansion of Dungeon World to work in the universe of Warhammer 40k, specifically the game Dark Heresy. This short post is about my goals and my overall plan of attack. More posts will follow with specific decisions and developments.
I like the rules-light nature of Dungeon World, and its ability to build a narrative with very little preparation. I also love the grimdark setting of WH40k. In an exercise to flex my tiny game design muscles, and to learn some new programming skills, I’ve created a new website for showcasing my ongoing work.
My personal goals for this project are to learn more about Warhammer 40k’s lore, practice game design, have fun, and learn some new coding skills. The site is created in NodeJS and is my first personal node project.
My goals for the conversion are:
- Convert iconic 40K weapons and items into DW stats and tags
- Create 4 playable classes styled after Dark Heresy classes with new skills
- Add tags to the game to incorporate new weapons
- Change starting moves to capture the nature of combat in WH and life in the Imperium
- Convert one short pre-made Dark Heresy campaign into a usable Dungeon World version
One thing I will not be tackling in my first version is psykers. It sucks for people who like to play psykers or wizards, but I don’t think they’re absolutely vital so I’ll be saving them for later.
I plan to start with four classes: Arbitrator, Tech-Priest, Assassin, and Guardsman. I’ll be trying to post updates on each class as I add more moves and changing existing ones.
New items and tags for those items will be added as needed and whenever I want to take a break from classes.